By Laura Braden and Chantel Elder
Here are seven reasons why:
- The project will repurpose an iconic space that’s 100+ years old. “The Bank” was originally built in 1912 by D.O. Mills, and the new space will feature 30,000 square feet and over three levels in the heart of #downtownSac at 629 J Street. For years, the space has hosted political events, fundraisers, weddings, proms and more – and now it’s going to be a destination for foodies and libation aficionados. (Read more on the history of the building in the Sacramento Bee).
- Speaking of food, the main floor will house a “culinary concourse” of a dozen local eateries with a massive 33-foot bar, plenty of seating with the original neoclassical ambiance blended with touches of modern design. Some of the chefs and brands you’ll recognize, others are new concepts – all are LOCAL. And there’s still space available – hit up email@example.com for details.
- The mezzanine level and craft cocktail lounge, which overlook the main hall, is all about fancy libations. The Bank will have an extensive collection of bourbons, whiskeys, scotches, wine and curated champagnes. Bonus points for being able to enjoy the skyline through the near floor to ceiling windows.
- If you love beer, you’ll want to head to the basement and check out their “Beer Vault” – complete with 70+ options on tap and the original bank vaults. They told us every seat will have a direct sight to big screen TVs, and they’ll be streaming local, national and international sporting events. They also teased some big surprise, but then they wouldn’t give up the goods. #StayTuned
- Want to host an intimate dinner party in one of the original bank vaults? Dance under the stars on a rooftop garden terrace? Part of the project’s space conversion includes unique event space options. We’ve never seen anything like the terrace in Sacramento (close second are the views from Gualco), and thankfully, the owners have made it a priority to maintain the integrity of the gardens so they’re offering limited bookings.
- And while you’re up on the rooftop, enjoy the nearly 360 views of #downtownSac – the perfect spot for catching a sunset and watching Sacramento’s skyline shift and evolve.
- The Bank really checks all of our social boxes. In the mood for brunch or lunch with your girlfriends? Hit up the concourse or mezzanine. Special date night? Try out the second level. Want to catch the World Cup with your buddies? Head down to the basement. Every inch of usable space is being utilized, and we’re not mad at it.
Individually, are any of these elements all that revolutionary? Certainly not. What sets The Bank apart is the sheer volume of fun they’ve been able to squeeze into one space while still honoring the building’s iconic nature. The project is a testament to Sacramento’s history and future – filled with the two things that can bring all types of people together: really fresh, local, and amazing food and booze.
And big shout out to the owners/developers because we wished more would open up their spaces for construction tours. Super special experience to see the before and after – and it makes you appreciate the process and their hard work all the more.
Vendors, chefs, breweries and more details will be announced in the coming months, and the space is slated to open by late summer 2017 (fingers crossed Sacramento’s crazy permitting structure doesn’t delay the process!).
Get excited Sacramento – we predict The Bank will be one of the premier gathering spaces in #downtownSac!
Photo credit: Chantel Elder with Eleakis & Elder Photography