By Ashley Robinson and Laura Braden
Mother’s Day is next Sunday, May 12. And if it slipped your mind, no worries – we have you covered with gift ideas (from Ashley since she’s a NEW mom!) and restaurant/event ideas (from Laura because … well, a girl’s gotta eat) throughout Sacramento’s grid.
And thanks to KCRA for having us on this morning to discuss! Video here.
- Flowers: While a bouquet of flowers sounds pretty generic, a bouquet from Twiggs (3250 J Street) is a work of art. The modern pieces are real show-stoppers and never fail to create beautiful memories. I highly recommend sending a bouquet to Mom’s workplace to make her feel really special.
- Pampering: As a new mom, I know a break to get pampered will go a long way. Massages, facials, and just general relaxation can be found at the plush Spa La Le at Le Rivage Hotel (4350 Riverside Blvd). Getting one of their services can be a fun experience in partnership with Mom (why not treat yourself, too?), as well as letting her go on her own to get away from it all.
- Meals: There are lots of great options (other than pizza and hamburgers) to give Mom a break from cooking a meal. (In our home, my husband actually makes most of the meals – I’m a terrible cook – but it’s nice for both of us to not to have “deal” with dinner ideas as a team.) For some quick take-out options, I recommend Selland’s Market-Cafe (5340 H Street), which provides fare for a lovely picnic in the park some dusky evening, or just calling Mom’s favorite restaurant to order a meal that can be eaten on her own back patio with a bottle of wine purchased from 58 Degrees (1217 18th Street). Just relax!
- Local Food Tour: Get Mom a gift certificate for a Local Roots Food Tour so she can explore Sacramento’s amazingly diverse culinary community. Some of our fellow Girls on the Grid have done a couple of these tours and RAVED about the experience. It’s a great way to get out and about in Sacramento, get back in the kitchens, meet the masterminds behind the dishes, and find new restaurants your family will want to visit again and again.
- Wind Chimes: Ok, I know this isn’t the sexiest gift idea, but what mom doesn’t love wind chimes?! (Probably quite a few … whatever.) The Gifted Gardener (1730 J Street) sells Grace Notes Chimes, which are made as specialty items in the Central Valley. The chimes make beautiful music – I have a set outside my bedroom window and I love hearing the music when I wake up in the morning. The Gifted Gardener also sells fun garden accessories that maybe your mom would be like to have in her yard.
- Clothes: Sacramento has a wide selection of places to get your mom handmade jewelry and clothes designed by local designers. Check out one of our favorites, Krazy Mary’s (3230 Folsom Blvd) for jewelry, handbags, and sassy clothes. Next door, Pink House (1462 33rd Street) has a great selection of shoes no woman can resist.
- BONUS GOTG Reader Suggestion: Get fresh pasta delivered (for free!) to your house from The Pasta Queen. From their Facebook page: “Our fresh pasta and ravioli is locally produced using no preservatives and are prepared with the freshest ingredients. We believe blending local ingredients with time-tested recipes results in products that honor the Italian food traditions of freshness and simplicity. Our pasta is available as freshly made “take & make” so you can enjoy fresh, gourmet pasta in minutes when you want it!”
- Before hitting brunch/lunch, take Mom to the East Sacramento Garden Tour (May 11/12 at 11:00am at 3535 M Street). It’s a local tradition that features seven beautiful gardens in the “Fabulous 40s” neighborhood. Buy tickets ($20) here.
- A great evening option is the Listen To Your Mother show at the Crest Theatre (1013 K Street) at 7:00pm. Part of a national series of live readings (in nearly two dozen cities) by local writers giving Mother’s Day a microphone. Cast members (including KCRA’s Dierdre Fitzpatrick!) read their personal stories that explore the complexities and absurdities of motherhood. A portion of the ticket proceeds benefits 916 Ink, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing the literacy rate of Sacramento’s youth. Tickets are $20 advance/$25 at the door.
- CONTEST: We’re teaming up with Hook & Ladder (1630 S Street) – one of our favorite spots on the grid – for a special Mother’s Day promotion. Simply post an old/vintage picture of you and your mom, tag GOTG and H&L and you may win $100 gift certificate to Hook & Ladder! We’ll announce the winner around noon this Friday.
- Revolution Wines (2831 S St.) will be serving a special Mother’s Day brunch from 9:30am-3:00pm. They’ve got a killer patio and feature only local wines. Call 916-444-7711 for reservations.
- Blue Prynt (815 11th Street) is hosting a special Mother’s Day all-you-can-eat buffet from 10:30am-3:00pm complete with carving stations and dessert. For $10 more, you can add bottomless mimosas, bloody marys or house wine. Call 916-492-2969 for reservations.
- Ten22 (1022 2nd Street) is hosting a 3-course, prix-fixe menu all-day, with a special menu for kids.
- If dinner is more your mom’s speed, head to Ella Dining Room and Bar (1131 K Street). They’re hosting a 3-course, prixe fix dinner from 3:30pm-7:30pm that includes a special kids’ menu. Call 916-443-3772 for reservations.
- BONUS GOTG Reader Suggestion: Head to a swinging fun brunch at Swabbies on the River (5871 Garden Highway), they’ll have breakfast specials starting at 9:30am and live/free music from Skippin Brook at 2:00pm.
Have a wonderful and safe Mother’s Day!
GOTG on KCRA: