Dine Downtown Week is HERE!
By Laine Himmelmann
This Thursday, January 12th marks the start of the 12th annual Sacramento Dine Downtown Restaurant week program – a 10 day opportunity to taste and experience the best of Downtown Sacramento’s gourmet food scene at a price that won’t break your after-Christmas budget.
Thirty-five restaurants, including such gourmet eateries like Ella, Empress, Grange, and Paragary’s , will be participating in this year’s big dining extravaganza and offering special 3-course dining experiences for a fixed price $35 per person.
Why Dine Downtown Week is awesome:
- It gives everyone the opportunity and an excuse to try some of the best restaurants in town for a price that pretty much anyone can afford.
- One dollar from every Dine Downtown meal is donated to social services and food literacy programs. (So you can feel even better about your delicious, decadent, and affordable meal).
- It brings attention to our growing local dining scene and drives traffic to some of our best restaurants during a time that is traditionally a rough month in the industry for sales. (In the past 11 years, Dine Downtown week has brought in over $4 million in revenue for the participating restaurants and charities).
Kurt Spataro, co-owner and executive chef for Paragary Restaurant Group who has been participating in Dine Downtown week since it started in 2005, looks forward to the event for a number of reasons as well, “By participating in Dine Downtown week, we’re able to help support Food Literacy as well as offer guests a few new seasonal dishes created just for the ten day run.”
Menus I’m looking forward to trying:
With so many phenomenal restaurants participating this year it’s hard to choose, but after scouring the menus these are my top 3 picks for where I’ll be spending my Dine Downtown Dollars:
- Café Plan B: In the spirit of Dine Downtown Week, this will actually be my first time trying Café Plan B and I’m excited! I appreciate that their Dine Downtown Menu offers 4 different main entrée selection options – though my heart was sold at “Filet Mignon de Porc with foie gras Armagnac cream”.
- Hock Farm : Hock Farm wouldn’t traditionally be a place I would think about for Dine Downtown Week (their prices aren’t quite as top tier as some of the other participating restaurants and I occasionally do actually dine there), their Dine Downtown Menu is really bringing it. Any place in Sacramento that puts Pork Belly Confit and Red Wine Braised Beef Cheek on their Dine Downtown Menu is a place I want to be.
- Paragarys: Paragary’s Midtown just got a hot new chef and their new menu is definitely showcasing his influence. (I had the opportunity to try a few of the new dishes during an instameet last month and I was definitely impressed). Much like their new menu overall, their Dine Downtown menu does not disappoint including appetizer options like mussels or a beet & avocado salad with a goat cheese mousse, and entrée selections such as a braised pork shank with sauerkraut and breadcrumb gremolata or grilled Passmore ranch trout with fingerling potatoes and tangerine and frisee salad. #YUM
(Clearly my tastes tend to lean in the direction of a true carnivore. For those of you vegetarians or non-meat eaters, have no fear! Most menus do offer a vegetarian selection and some restaurants, like Ellas, even offer a completely vegetarian menu.)
Dine Downtown Details:
If you’d like to see the list of all 35 participating restaurants and their pre-fixed menus, click HERE.
Dine Downtown Week is put on by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership and begins Thursday, January 12th and will conclude on Sunday, January 22nd. Reservations are HIGHLY encouraged.
Happy Dine Downtown Week!