GOTG Friday Faves: Friday, Sept. 2, 2016
By Danielle Ball
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers.
Dig in, and get your read on!
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK
This handsome fella is Doug. He’s a senior Chocolate Lab with just the right amount of grey in his muzzle. Doug would love to live out his golden years with a new best friend. He’s currently being fostered, but you can contact Front Street Shelter for more information.
- Is there something sinister lurking in Lake Tahoe?
- The Assembly recently passed a bill to protect new parents. The bill will allow some workers to take time off for a new child without having to worry about their job disappearing.
- Remember Brock Turner? The bad news is that he’s getting out of jail Friday. The good news is that California lawmakers are working to ensure mandatory jail time in similar cases.
- Your days of free evening parking downtown are over
- This week local artist hub Panama Pottery was robbed leaving artists devastated and without tools and equipment. CLICK HERE to help rebuild.
- Just as many dog owners have long suspected, dogs understand both words and tone. Scientists have shown that dogs can recognize both what you’re saying and can distinguish subtleties in how you say it. Does this mean that my dog is willfully ignoring me?
- If you consider Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazner part of your squad, you’ll be happy to know that the Broad City soundtrack has been officially announced.
Friday, September 2
- Today kicks off the Sacramento Greek Festival! There will be cooking demonstrations, Greek dance performances, and more.
- Get your anime fix with SacAnime Summer at the Convention Center.
Saturday, September 3
- This weekend Old Sacramento is really living up to its name by taking us back to the 1850’s for Gold Rush Days. I’m surprised that I need to say this, but leave your horses and historic weapons at home please.
Sunday, September 4
- The 29th annual Sacramento Rainbow Festival is happening today at 20th and K street. Deborah Cox is performing and there will be cast members from Ru Paul’s Drag Race visiting throughout the weekend. The after parties are sure to be memorable.
- RIRE is celebrating their new location by letting you fill a bag with all sorts of great stuff for one price.
BONUS: Monday, September 5