GOTG Friday Faves 8/5/16
By Danielle Ball
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers.
Dig in, and get your read on!
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK
This tiny dancer is Miss Georgia. She’s an eight-year-old American Bulldog who’s ready for a night on the town and a new bestie. Miss G would be the perfect companion to float on the river, loves to get slurpees multiple times per day, and will let you walk her past your ex’s house late at night just to make sure they’re still home. Check out her profile at Front Street Shelter.
- Sacramento legend Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor has closed its doors citing rising rent as a problem.
- Pour House is about to undergo a rebranding.
- A local group has announced a boycott of several Sacramento area restaurants after alleging that they were treated unfairly because of their race.
- Apple announced that we’ll be getting 100 new emojis in September! The new icons will be more gender inclusive and feature female characters doing more than just painting their nails and dancing.
- Beyonce quotes are always appropriate. This political commentator telling a Trump supporter, “Boy, bye” may be my fav thing on TV this week.
Friday, August 5
- Savor East Sac continues this weekend. The event is sponsored by the East Sac Chamber of Commerce and features deals at your favorite local eateries. (Lots of them include booze!)
- Check out Geographer, Dusty Brown, Epsilona, and more at Concerts in the Park tonight.
- Tonight will see the fourth If You’ll Do Me, I’ll Do You art show. Artists drew names out of a hat and spent some time getting to know their partners before drawing their portraits.
- Today is the grand opening of Off the Grid’s Friday Nights at the Barn! Come for the food trucks and amazing location, stay for the live band and fresh cocktails. The event is family friendly and runs from 5pm-10pm.
Saturday, August 6
- Join the Lady Salamanders as they cheer on the U.S. Women’s Olympic Soccer Team during the match against France.
- Hang out with Councilmember Steve Hansen for beer and a classic movie at Southside Park. They’ll show Raiders of the Lost Ark, and proceeds from the beer garden benefit Front Street Shelter.
Sunday, August 7
- Did you know that The Porch hosts weekly tastings of bourbon, rum, and more? Enjoy some brunch and some hair of the dog to start your Sunday off right.