GOTG Friday Faves 7/29/16
By Danielle Ball
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers.
Dig in, and get your read on!
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK
This is Louise and honestly she’s so over it. She’s done with hanging out at the shelter and listening to other dogs gossip. She’s over the boy dogs who are happy to play in the yard, but get distant when it’s time to share treats. And she’s sick of posing for photos in bows that obviously don’t highlight her coloring. If you’re ready to meet the most sarcastic friend you’ve ever had, visit her at Front Street today.
- Tickets went on sale this week for the Legends of Wine tasting event taking place in September. The event is part of the Farm-to-Fork Capital of America initiative and will be just one of several events highlighting Sacramento’s crops and food scene.
- A six-year-old Rancho Cordova had his wish granted this week. Ethan dreams of being a garbage man when he grows up, and for one wonderful day, he lived out that dream. People all over the city stepped in to help, and the day culminated in a press conference with Mayor-Elect Darrell Steinberg.
- Turns out the Ice Bucket Challenge really did some good! Researchers announced this week that they’ve discovered a gene that contributes to the disease. This could be a major step to finding a cure.
- Beloved psychic Miss Cleo passed away this week at the age of 53.
- Last night Hillary Clinton made history as she became the first woman to be nominated by a major political party for the White House. #HERSTORY
Friday, July 29
- If you’re into house music, head to District 30 for some sick beats.
- If you’re looking for inspiration, head to the Tedx Sacramento Salon.
Saturday, July 30
- Start your day with GOTG writer Michelle Sweezey at Yoga in the Park
- Head over to Zuda Yoga for a special #blacklivesmatter yoga session. The class is open to all ability levels.
Sunday, July 31
- Love craft beer AND chicken wings? You’re in luck. The Sactown Wings festival is from 3-7pm today at Southside Park.
- Today is all about food trucks, music, and drinks. I’ll be hanging out at Off The Grid River Walk. With multiple food vendors, activities for children and adults, and shade tents with misters, it’s everything that I want in a Sunday hang out spot!