12 Boozy Events to Look Forward to this Summer
By Laine Himmelmann
After attending a fabulous summer infusions course at Paragary’s earlier this month (aka an excuse to get together with my girlfriend on a Tuesday and drink wine after work under the guise of taking a “class”), I found myself heavily and happily enjoying the infused fruits of my labor and thinking…
With the hot summer heat seeping into Sacramento, who isn’t looking for an excuse for a three month diet of sangria, cold craft beer, chilled pinot grigio, and sunshine?
Now my mason jar of infused strawberry and vanilla bean rum may be empty, but even with June down there are still plenty of booze-filled events worth marking on your calendar this summer.
Here are few top picks that’ll be filling my summer schedule …
1) Cocktail Academy “Tequila Class” – July 9th @ Hook and Ladder
Get your tequila tasting on with Beverage Director Chris Tucker and learn how to make modern classic tequila cocktails.
2) Bogle Movie Night – July 16th @ Bogle Vineyards
Grab a date and a blanket and enjoy a special screening of “Back to the Future” in the vineyard with popcorn, candy, Drewski’s, and some vino.
3) Courtland Pear Fair – July 31st @ Bates Elementary School in Courtland
Ever had a pear margarita? Check out the quaint Courtland Pear Fair for some country goodness and surprisingly good pear-fused beverages.
4) Sactown Wings and Beer Festival– July 31st @ Southside Park
Over 3,000 patrons are expected to attend the 3rd annual Sactown Wings and Beer Festival, centered on, you guessed it, chicken wings and beer. Grab your mug at entrance and see what the fuss is all about.
5) Helwig Winery’s 4th Annual Round Up Party: August 13th @ Helwig Winery in Amador
Wine, Sangria, “Cowboy Heartbreaker Punch”, and bull rides …sounds like a recipe for a good time in Amador.
6) Sacramento Cocktail Week: August 14-18th
Details are still being sorted, but the 9th annual Sacramento Cocktail Week will unite local bartenders, fine spirits, and artisan cocktails and include a special weeklong celebration of booze-infused festivities all over town. There are different events at different venues each day. Get ready!
7) Wine & Cheese Faire – August 27th-28th @ The Old Sugar Mill
Eleven wineries, live music, barrel tastings, gourmet foods, and CHEESE? Need I say more…
8) Yolo Brewfest – September 3rd @ Heritage Plaza and Main Street in Woodland
This event will feature 30+ breweries, cideries, and even a meadery, as well as local gourmet restaurants, a cigar lounge, live music, and entertainment. #YOLO
9) Craft Beer Summit – September 8th– September 10th @ the Sacramento Convention Center
Get ready for THE LARGEST California craft beer festival, hosted outdoors in front of the Capitol and offering unlimited tastings from 150 breweries and more than 400 beers brewed across California. This event is both a beer industry tradeshow, as well as a festival. Tickets are available for both or just the festival.
10) 2016 Farm to Fork Legends of Wine – September 16th @ California State Capitol
Put your pinky up as you sample and discover some of the region’s most celebrated wine varietals (selected by two of Sacramento’s internationally recognized culinary sherpas – Darrell Corti and David Berkely)
11) Christian Brothers Wine, Beer, and Food Extravaganza – September 16th @ Christian Brothers High School
Like no high school fundraiser you’ve seen before, this event sells out every year and includes 60+ wine, beer, and food vendors; as well as a speakeasy lounge. This fundraiser is so big; you can even hop on one of the many shuttle busses around town taking people to and from the event.
12) California Brewers Festival – September 17th @ Discovery Park
If you love beer (or even just like it), you need to be here. As the longest running and “longest-pouring” beer festival in Sacramento, this event includes limitless tasting and more beer vendors than you could imagine. As an added bonus, this event is actually put on my Point West Rotary and has raised over $1 Million for charity in the past 21 years.
Looking for some frequent summer fun? Check out these recurring boozy-events!
- California State Fair – July 8th-24th @ Cal Expo
- Wine Trivia Night – Every Wednesday @ Revolution Wines
- Gather Oak Park – Every Thursday @ Broadway and 3rd Avenue in Oak Park
- Fantasy Food Truck Showdown – Every Thursday by Beers in Sac @ various local breweries (This is a summer long competition between the best of the gourmet food truck industry at various craft breweries. Get ready for gourmet food, craft beer, music, and some friendly competition)
- Concerts in the Park – Every Friday @ Cesar Chavez Park
- Friday Alfresco Events – Every Friday from July 1st – September 2nd @ Bogle Vineyards (Each Friday includes wine, local music, local bites, and the opportunity to support a different local nonprofit.)
- Pops in the Park – Every Saturday @ various park locations in East Sacramento.
Interested in hearing about more boozy events in Sacramento? Join a club!
- Bourbon Babes – They love bourbon, and they love us. The bourbon babes are seven Sacramento ladies who love bourbon and sharing it with everyone else through their instagram, blog, and occasional events. #sacbourbonbabes
- Hop Broads – The hop broads are a group of local Sacramento women who love to taste, talk and learn about craft beer. They meet once a month and host occasional events. #HopBroads
- Pink Boots Society – More of a professionally based society, the mission of the Pink Pink Boots Society is to empower women beer professionals and advance their careers in the Beer Industry through education. They just recently launched in Sacramento and frequently posting beer related events on their page.
So there you have it! There is certainly no shortage of boozy events to give you an excuse to get your cheers on this summer in Sacramento!
So prost, salute, and CHEERS!
Have a boozy event or club that wasn’t mentioned? Let us know in the comments!