GOTG Friday Faves 07/01/16
By Danielle Ball
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers. Dig in, and get your read on!
This is one of the busiest times of year for shelters throughout the country. The safest thing is to keep your pets inside this weekend, but if they do get out, Front Street can help! Pick up your lost pet for free through July 17. The shelter is offering amnesty in an effort to make room for homeless animals.
- SactoMoFo and Loaves and Fishes partnered for an epic lunch to help the homeless population in Sacramento
- The Trailhead Fire threatens homes and other structures in El Dorado and Placer counties
- Sacramento is one of a handful of markets testing out Chipotle’s new chorizo option
- The Sacramento Art Deco Society celebrated their 25th anniversary
- RIRE boutique is opening a third location in Oak Park!
- Calling all comic book lovers! A new shop with comics, coffee, and artisanal toast is coming to Midtown thanks to the Calling All Dreamers contest
- One of my favorite Daily Show correspondents is leaving to headline her own show
- Now that there’s beer for dogs and wine for cats I may never have to make new friends!
- Beloved basketball coach Pat Summitt passed away this week. She’s known for winning more games than anyone in college basketball history, and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Barack Obama in 2012
- The Supreme Court ruled that domestic abusers convicted of misdemeanors can lose their gun ownership privileges
- The Supreme Court struck down a Texas abortion law that they said, would impose, “…undue burden on abortion access.”
Friday, July 1
- It’s First Friday! See the work of local artists and mingle with your fellow Sacramentans at 1810 Gallery, Beatnik Studios, and at WAL Public Market.
- The Sacramento Shakespeare Festival opens today.
Saturday, July 2
- Jackrabbit Brewing Company is celebrating four new beers. I can’t wait to try the Sour Habit!
- Take a break from the 100+ temps with an Underground After Hours tour of Old Sac.
Sunday, July 3
- Off the Grid Sacramento is our new favorite place to hang out on Sundays. Enjoy food, shade, live entertainment, and activities for the kiddies.
**Bonus** Monday, July 4 There’s plenty of fireworks to go around!