GOTG Friday Faves 6/24/2016
By Danielle Ball
Friday Faves is our chance to share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers. Also, we are adoptive puppy pushers…well, animals in general really – so open your hearts and home and trust us to find you your next best friend.
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK:
This enthusiastic fellow is Twister, a six year old Pit and Weimaraner mix. He would love to accompany you on a morning stroll around McKinley park, and is ready and willing to sample all of the best brunches around town with you. Twister is waiting for you at Front Street Shelter.
SUPPORT YOUR CITY
The 7th Annual Red Shoe Crawl is this Sunday. Join your fellow Sacramentans (and some GOTG writers) for a culinary journey around some of the finest local restaurants as you support Ronald McDonald House Charities. Buy your tickets here.
- This week Sacramento launched a pilot program to provide restrooms to the homeless population.
- The chefs for the Tower Bridge Dinner have been announced! Tickets will go on sale next month.
- The Verity Baptist Church was asked to relocate ASAP. This comes after the paston gained national attention by praising the Orlando gunman in a sermon.
- The Dalai Lama visited the Capitol City this week.
- Democrats staged a sit in at the House of Representatives to force a vote on gun control.
- New Zealand may have some strange laws, luckily a ban on gardening isn’t one of them.
- The PM has announced he will resign after the Brexit vote.
Friday, June 24
- The 4th Annual Sacramento Stand-Up Competition kicks off today. This is a great weekend to see some original comedy, network with other performers, or test your improv. chops on stage.
- Head to Track 7 Brewing Co. for the Fantasy Food Truck Showdown this evening. Each truck is given one mystery ingredient to incorporate into their dishes and you get to help choose a winner!
Saturday, June 25
- The Grapes and Grub Festival is back at The Old Sugar Mill! Four local wineries, plus live music, and local food trucks equals an amazing Saturday!
- It’s time for the last Pops in the Park of the year. Bring a picnic and the family for AKA Live at Glenn Hall Park
- Umm, did you know that you can camp overnight in the Sacramento Zoo!? Check out the Overnight Safari event where you can meet animal ambassadors, sing around the campfire, and fall asleep under the stars.
Sunday, June 26
- Gear up for the Reptile Exposition!!!!! They’re promising something called “reptile accessories” that almost definitely doesn’t mean sunglasses for lizards, but I’m going to check it out just to be sure.