GOTG Friday Faves: June 3, 2016
By Danielle Ball
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought-provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers. Also, we are adoptive puppy pushers…well, animals in general really – so open your hearts and home and trust us to find you your next best friend.
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK:
This little ballerina is Nan. She’s a two year old pit mix, and is currently being fostered by a friend of the Front Street Shelter. She loves hiking, cuddling, and car rides where she can ride shotgun.
- The City Council voted unanimously to allow people to drink while onboard the Sac Brew Bike. Those rides are about to get a lot slower and a lot more wobbly.
- A new bill would allow concerned citizens to smash car windows if they feel a pooch inside the car is in danger.
- One of our favorite morning reads secured major funding this week. The Skimm is a daily newsletter (and app) curated by two twenty something women. They’ve got big things on the horizon, and this investment will help them grow.
- There was a shooting at the UCLA campus on Wednesday. Investigators are still looking into what happened, but students are showing resilience.
- Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes lost 4.5 billion overnight.
Friday, June 3
- Check out some of your favorite downtown restaurants for a Winemaker’s Dinner. The pre-fixe menus include pairings with some of the area’s best local wineries.
- Marlon Wayans is performing at the Crest Theatre tonight.
Saturday, June 4
- Grape Escape is back! The event in Cesar Chavez park highlights local breweries and wineries, and is always a good time. Buy tickets here.
- Did you know it’s supposed to be over 100 degrees today? Cool off at the Bubble Run.
- The Sacramento Pride Parade and Festival will take place today at Capitol Park.
Sunday, June 5
- The Women’s Fitness Festival is today. Bring your daughters, sisters, and friends to this event celebrating women’s health.
- If you’re like us and have always envied Ariel a little bit, your day has finally come! The Promenade of Mermaids happens today in Old Town Sacramento.