GOTG Friday Faves 5/20/16
By Danielle Ball
Friday Faves is our chance to share our favorite local and national content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought-provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our favorite local bloggers. We’re also adoptive puppy pushers…well, animals in general really – so open your hearts and home and trust us to find you your next best friend.
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK
This little chunky monkey is named Chelsea. She’s a four-year old American Bully looking for a new bff. She’s looking for someone who wants to take her on road trips and maybe sneak her a bite of sausage at Low Brau. Really when it comes down to it, isn’t that what we all want? Chelsea is up for adoption at Front Street Shelter.
- A local hiker and his dog were found safe after a four-day search. Both seem to be doing well. Is it too early to extend a #SMEBB2017 invite?
- A West Sacramento teen has created a seeing eye robot as part of a Marvel STEM challenge. The robot could represent a much more cost efficient way to help those with vision loss.
- Some frightening scenes in Roseville this week were all part of a disaster preparedness drill put on by the city.
- Tsai Ing-wen was sworn in Friday as the president of Taiwan, becoming the island’s first female leader. (New York Times)
- Google made some…interesting announcements this week.
- Supreme Court ruling should clear the way to free birth control for women with religious employers (L.A. Times)
- ‘What do we have to do?’ Female innovators chart path toward equality (Chicago Tribune)
Friday, May 20
- Start your weekend off right with some free music, beer, and a few friends at Concert in the Park!
Saturday, May 21
- It’s finally time for the SactoMoFo Food Truck Festival! The event features food from more than 40 trucks in Sacramento and the Bay Area plus beer and live music. Some of the beer sales benefit our friends at the Front Street Shelter, so you don’t even have to feel guilty about having two or three drinks to wash down those delicious treats.
- Wrap up your night with the U.S. Air Guitar Championship at the Starlight Lounge.
- The R Street Block Party features live art, food, kids zone, live music, cold beverages and the makers mart showcasing 40 of the best handmade vendors in Northern California!
Sunday, May 22