GOTG Friday Faves 11/13/2015
By Brianna Nathan
Every Friday, we share our favorite local/general and national/lady content from the previous week. This gives us a chance to dive into thought provoking pieces, as well as cheerlead our fave local bloggers. Dig in, and get your read on with our Friday Faves!
PET CRUSH OF THE WEEK
Ace just wants to be loved – how can you say no to this adorable face?
Through Sunday, the Sacramento SPCA is offering veterans 50% off adoptions fees for cats and dogs over a year old – if that’s you, grab your military ID and head down there to give some lucky animal a forever home.
- City Scout takes a look at Sacramento’s bike culture and introduces you to PUBLIC Bikes – their pop-up is open at Hot Italian every weekend through the holidays from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Rumors about a rugby team in Sac… yes please!
- Cowtown Eats gets a sneak peek at Meet & Eat on Freeport. Add that to your new must try places to eat!
- Actress Clare Bowen reminds us to look beyond appearances. “You are who you are in your bones. That is where you have the potential to shine the brightest from. It is where your true beautiful self lives.” PREACH.
- Boss lady Reese Witherspoon gave a pretty amazing speech when Elle Magazine presented her with a Woman of the Year award. Check out the whole speech: http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2015/11/reese-witherspoon-women-of-the-year-speech
Friday November 13
Global Winter Wonderland opens today! This weekend only, save $7 on admission for two. The event, which runs through early January, features acrobats on ice, an ice skating rink, rides, and holiday vendors. Until noon today, Girls on the Grid is giving away 4 tickets! Head on over to Facebook to enter.
Saturday November 14
World’s largest pop-up pub coming to Midtown. Yes, you read that correctly. 40 taps of Deschutes Brewery’s craft beers, a 402-foot custom bar, and bar bites created by chefs from de Vere’s and Block. There will be games, activities and fun stuff for the kids, too! Need we say more? See you there!
Join Rue 27 and Blackbird Kitchen+ Beer Gallery for A Trip to the Moon: An Art Ball, featuring Ghost & the City from Oakland, local DJ’s including Roger Carpio & Sam I Jam, the art of Vivian Freeland, Molly Devlin, Jason Thorpe, Melissa Uroff Millner, Stephen V. Williams & others. Costumes are encouraged!
Aimez-vous les films Francais? Get your Francophile on at the 2nd Mini Fall French Film Fest.
Sunday November 15
Join GOTG Michelle Sweezey at the launch of Real Authentic Wild. AKA – Power Vinyasa flow class, brunch + mimosas, and networking. Come find out what RAWMedia is up to!
Check out the next installment of Carouse, brought to you by the minds behind Empress Tavern and Mother. Sunday night, chef Jenn Louis of Portland’s Lincoln Restaurant will collaborate with those chefs on a multi-course menu of pasta preparations featuring hearty, autumnal flavors. There’s a menu for both vegetarians and omnivores – get your tickets here.
Guys. We’re halfway through November already – can you believe it? For the next couple of weeks, we’re going to share with you some handy tips and tricks to navigate this busy time of year without completely losing it. Ready?
- Have you ordered your turkey yet? If not, check out Corti Bros., Taylor’s Market, Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op, or Save Mart – all of these retailers sell great birds from Branigan’s Turkey Farm and Mary’s Free Range Turkey.
- No meat? No problem! Here’s a show-stopping entree everyone will be drooling over.
- Already sick of hearing about Black Friday? Us too. Instead of waiting in lines for this year’s hot item, consider giving back to the community and join Forever Friday in donating shirts to the homeless.