Behind the Apron with Mary: Cozy Granola
By Mary McCune
Labor Day Weekend has come and gone and now we are on the cusp of my favorite season, Fall! Alongside Pumpkin Spice Lattes and binge-watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix, here is a simple treat you can make at home to really bring in the ever-so-slowly falling temperatures.
Most of the ingredients you can probably already find in your kitchen, and if you don’t have them (I will admit I needed to go out and buy cardamom), the recipe doesn’t hinge on any one specific flavor, so feel free to omit the spices you don’t have at your fingertips. Just don’t skimp out on the cinnamon and cloves, if you can help it…this will make your house smell like Apple Hill within half an hour.
Difficulty Level (0-10 scale, where 10 is extremely difficult): 1/10
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 cups
Perfect for: Watching 5-6 hours of Netflix
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup honey, warmed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Mix all liquid ingredients in a small mixing bowl, set honey mixture aside
- Mix remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl and stir in honey mixture until fully incorporated
- Spread granola mix onto sheet and set in over for 30 minutes, making sure to stir granola around every 10 minutes
- Once baked, remove from oven and set out to cool, about 15-20 minutes
- Enjoy dry or as a cereal topped with fresh fruit!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.