Wizard World Returns to Sacramento This Weekend, June 19-20
By Meghan Sullivan
This weekend prepare to see all kinds of costumes freaks, geeks, nerds, and otherwise normal people roaming around downtown in the vicinity of the Sacramento Convention Center. Wizard World, Inc. produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, television, cosplay, comics, graphic novels, toys, video gaming, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more. Wizard World Sacramento is the 13th of 26 events scheduled in 2015 by Wizard World. This year’s convention includes a lot of exciting programming events including Q and A sessions, autograph sessions, industry panels, a film festival and even a costume contest.
There are a lot of great people scheduled to be a part of this year’s convention including Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange), Billie Piper (Doctor Who), Manu Bennett (Arrow), Henry Winkler (Happy Days). There are also scheduled panels with Katie Cassidy (Arrow), Danny Trejo (Machete), Alfonso Ribeiro (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Reggie Lee (Grimm), and the Bella Twins (WWE). That’s a lot of happenings. And I’d just like to note that Alfonso Ribeiro’s panel is actually titled “Dancing the Carlton with Alfonso Ribeiro.” Can we all just take a moment to sing and dance the Carlton to Tom Jones?
The show hours this weekend are:
- Friday, June 19, 2015 – 3pm – 8pm
- Saturday, June 20, 2015 – 10am – 7pm
- Sunday, June 21, 2015 – 11am – 5pm
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Wizard World has also announced additional after parties which are free to attend with a Wizard World wristband.
- Friday, June 19, it’s the Wizard World Creator Pro Am: Drink & Draw. At Barwest (2724 J St.), professional and amateur artists/writers go head-to-head in this paper-covered, ink-induced, word twisting, color-splattering scrawl for cash and other prizes. 21+ only. Free with your Wizard World wristband!
- Saturday, June 20 from 9 p.m. to close, it’s the Wizard World Official After Party at Social Nightclub (1000 K St.). Show your Wizard World wristband and receive free cover.
If you’ve never been to a comic convention, stop by and check out the craziness. It’s a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, mingle with industry professionals, and just revel in geekdom. Even if you can’t attend the show itself, I definitely recommend people watching around the convention. There’s bound to be some great cosplay out and about.