Celebrating Black History Month in Sacramento
By Erica Root and Mary McCune
Mary and I – GOTG’s newest staff writers – also serve on the board of Fem Dems, a local club that promotes women’s empowerment, community inclusiveness, and community awareness. We do this by building leadership skills, engaging community leaders, and discussing current events impacting women and families.
Tomorrow we are hosting a forum featuring prominent women of color in our own backyard. We will tackle issues facing our state and our community; specifically, we will discuss women and healthcare access, women in the workplace, and women in our community.
Rosalyn Van Buren (past candidate for Sacramento City Council) will moderate the discussion. Our panelists include:
- Janine Bera, M.D. – A primary care physician at Kaiser and volunteer physician at the Imani Clinic, a student-run free clinic in Oak Park. Janine is also the wife of Congress Member Ami Bera.
- Joany Titherington – A Sac State alum and founder of the Oak Park Farmer’s Market in 2011. Joany is a community champion in the Oak Park revitalization effort.
- Maya Wallace – Maya is a good friend of GOTG. She currently serves as the Director of External Affairs at Sacramento Steps Forward, an organization aimed at ending homelessness in the Sacramento region.
If that hasn’t convinced you already, here are few other reasons why you should attend Thursday’s forum:
- The Wellspring Women’s Center – the event is being hosted at this amazing Sacramento establishment. They serve hundreds of women and children every weekday and connect the same families with the local services they need. Throw that extra box of tampons or a box of diapers in your purse as a donation to Wellspring.
- Networking – this is the perfect opportunity for you to meet with other active like-minded professionals in Sacramento. Exchange business cards, make connections.
- Educate Yourself – come to learn how you can positively improve your health outcomes, your professional trajectory, and your community.
Here’s a recap of the event details:
What: Fem Dems February Salon
When: Thursday, February 19, 2015
Where: Wellspring Women’s Center (3414 4th Ave, Sacramento)
RSVP: On the Fem Dems Facebook Event Page
If you have a burning question you’d like to ask our panelists, please post it in the comments
section below. We hope to see you there!