Yogis Giving Back
By Sabrina Lockhart (Guest blogger)
It’s the vacation of a lifetime – but instead of spending time working on tan lines, they’ll be working on empowering communities in Cape Town, South Africa.
Michelle Sweezey and husband-wife team Mike and Marie Anderson are three local yogis who practice at Midtown’s Zuda Yoga studio and in March will participate in an Africa Yoga Project service trip. During the trip, they will partner with the Earthchild Project to work with the community and offer training to local youth leaders, empowering them with skill building experiences and employment opportunities
While others find inspiration in the Gandhi quote, “The best way to lose yourself is to find yourself in the service of others,” Michelle, Mike and Marie truly embody those sage words.
However, if you’re inspired by their selflessness, but don’t have enough vacation days to join them, there’s still an opportunity to help without even leaving the grid.
Supported by event sponsors like The Yoga Workshop, they’re taking happy hour to the next level with A’frican Event on January 31 The benefit event will be held at Mulvaney’s B&L and will feature South African beer and wine tastings; a performance by African Dancers; auction and raffle items; music by DJ Dragonfly and a local chef challenge.
During the chef challenge, local culinary celebrities, including Adam Pechal from Crawdad’s River Cantina andIan MacBride from Lucca will be given a mystery box of ingredients and have 45 minutes to dazzle the judges with South African-inspired dishes.
As an added bonus, you can make retail therapy even more rewarding by purchasing raffle tickets and bidding on auction items. While other big items will be available for bidding at the event, here are a few of the incredible items they’ve already lined up from some local businesses with big hearts:
- Two 4-day Sage passes to Wanderlust Squaw Valley
- 1 year membership, 3 month membership and 10 class pass to Zuda Yoga
- 3 month membership to Solfire Yoga
- Handcrafted jewlery from Tamed and Awesome
- Chum Yoga mats
- Photo Session with Kendra Brown
- 1 hour massage from Sacramento Massage Studio
- 1 hour massage from Sweet Pea Massage
- Exam, x-rays and 12 visits from Active Life Chiropractic
- Tasting for 10 with assorted Spanish cheese and Fruit Plate at Vina Castellano
- 2 one month passes and 5 one week passes to Midtown Strength and Conditioning
- 1 month pass to Good Times Crossfit
- Season registrations from Radii150
- 1 haircut from Amber Brewer at Maverique Style House
- Arbonne skin and body care products
- Gift card to Lucca Restaurant
- 1 stand-up paddleboard 90 minute lesson for two
- T-shirts and a 5 night stay for a furry friend at River Dogs Resort
- Caren Halverson artwork
- Jodi Dillon artwork
- 2 bottles of Rombauer wine