GOTG Local Gift Guide
By the Editors
Today is Cyber Monday. Likely you have a bajillion emails advertising the next cheapest thing in your inbox and while we will no doubt take advantage of some of these door step delivered deals, we want to recap some of our favorite finds from Small Business Saturday this last weekend and encourage you to shop local all holiday season. While we were in midtown on Saturday we used this map to make sure we hit all the spots!
For the Fashionable:
Sugar Shack, Identity Boutique, Love Bellissima and Cuffs, were just a few of the places we checked out for Small Business Saturday and all had lots to choose from. There are TONS of amazing little clothing shops in Sacramento and we aren’t shy about broadcasting our love for them – you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
For the Local Lover:
Swanberg’s on J has neighborhood shirts and hoodies that are perfect for the person on your shopping list that is full of local pride.
Sudz by Studz is a local soap company – all their products are amazing but what we really love is their gratitude line of soaps. For every soap they sell, a bar of soap is donated to a local Sacramento charity like WEAVE!
For the Sweets Lover:
Ginger Elizabeth – The Cocoa is divine. A box of chocolates or the macroons would all be devoured on Christmas morning.
Rick’s Dessert Diner – A gift card is your best bet! Let them choose between carrot cake and the red velvet – why should all the hard work be yours?
For the Fitness Feind:
Sacramento has a ton of brilliant yoga studios – one of our favorite places is Yoga Shala. Grab a 5 or 10 day pass for the yoga lover in your life!
Fleet Feet isn’t just for runners – they have tons of work out gear, shoes (personally fit) and a whole shop just for the ladies right next door in the fleet feet women’s boutique.
For the Hard to Shop For:
Display California is located at 3433 Broadway in the Triangle District (Oak Park). This pop up shop is put on by the oh-so-talented team from Unseen Heroes and has some of the coolest artsy gifts. Rechargeable Vintage suitcase Speakers made by Boomcase , textiles for the home by Prosper Design Studio , gift tags and holiday cards by Pigment and Parchment and jewelry by Cabine were just some of our most favorite finds! This pop up shop is a definite must see if you are looking for something original and wow-worthy – it has so many options under one roof.
Scout Living is located on 1215 18th Street in Midtown. They have tons of beautiful modern and eclectic treasures, along with designer furniture & home accessories. This place always has something for the person that seems to have everything.
Top 6 Reasons to Shop Local
1) It’s more Fun – really. Walking into a little shop in midtown and having a friendly face say hello and chat about their favorite and latest merchandise is way more entertaining than staring at a computer screen and “site hopping” for a good deal.
2) Less Frustrating – Returns are a drag. For all the convenience of having a product delivered straight to your door, there is the inconvenience of a purchase not fitting, feeling cheap or just plain being wrong. That disappointment is only topped by a post office line to return something.
3) Parking is Free in Sacramento for the Holiday Season. ‘Nuff Said.
4) The Treasure of it All – Local boutiques and specialty shops have unknown treasures. You can stumble unpon items that you didn’t even know existed. The internet can only provide items within your searchability – if you don’t know it exists how can you look for it?
5) Local Money Stays Local – You can get the warm and fuzzies knowing your dollar goes farther in your community when you keep your spending close to home.
featured image credited to Pigment and Parchment Design