Mark Your Calendars: #BossLady Events in Sacramento
By Laura Braden
While we’re each responsible for our own happiness and success, no one can exist in this world alone. We need a community – an ecosystem – of people that challenge, support and champion our initiatives and projects.
With that spirit in mind, and specifically designed for women, the below events are sure to help you tackle your dreams and expand your understanding of the world:
Women’s StartUp Weekend
- Friday, November 14 – Sunday, November 16
- Urban Hive, 1913 H Street
- $99 for the weekend, $25 for demo day – Tickets, Facebook, Website
- Cost includes: dinner on Friday and three meals on Saturday/Sunday
Milestone moment for Sacramento: This is the FIRST hackathon in the region specifically for women. According to the website, participants will spend 54 hours working together to design, prototype and create business plans for their ideas. Teams will build foundations for their business ideas, receive critical feedback from local tech and business leaders, and compete for various prizes. Participants simply need to bring their ideas and be ready to collaborate.
“This is also an exciting Startup Weekend because it’s happening before the official start of Global Entrepreneurship Week (Nov 17-24) AND the winners of our Startup Weekend will progress to Global Startup Battle, which pits winning teams from across the globe against each other in an online pitch competition.” Many of the weekend’s volunteer organizers are entrepreneurs themselves, using “their free time, which is in short supply for a startup company, to help other women learn to become tech entrepreneurs. This embodies the spirit I’ve encountered around women helping women in the Sacramento region.” – Laura Good, Organizer and Program Director with SARTA
“The acceleration of women in leading entrepreneurial roles in Sacramento feels like a bullet train. UP Global’s Start-up Weekend for Women is exactly the kind of localized experience with global expertise that is fueling that train.” – Tracy Saville, VP, Marketing & Public Affairs of Synergex Ventures/CleanWorld
Men can attend, but only women are allowed to present/pitch.
- Bottom line? If you want to launch your business idea into reality OR witness local women going after their dreams OR meet new collaboration partners, this is the event for you.
TEDx Sacramento – Women’s Salon
- Friday, December 12 at 1:00pm
- Crocker Art Museum, 216 O Street
- $65 general, $100 VIP – Tickets, Facebook, Website
A mix of speakers and performances, the idea is to share local and global insights to shake things up. This year’s theme is “THIS Changes EVERYTHING”, which refers to the attendees taking away insights that inform, challenge and inspire. They’ll announce speakers as the event nears, but the point is to experience the full “intellectual journey” – not simply attend speaker A or B’s talks.
- Bottom line? If you’re looking to get out of a rut and/or need a jolt of humanistic inspiration, this is the event for you. Prepare for your mind to be blown and to meet like-minded people trying to evolve their corner of the universe.
So sign up TODAY – join the conversation and build your ecosystem! #BossLady