CA State Fair Opens Today!
By the Editors (Special thanks to CA State Fair media team) The 2014 State Fair opens today and continues through July 27, for 17 days of fun! The following is an overview courtesy of the California State Fair media team.
- This year, there is more shaded seating across the fairgrounds.
- The mommy lounge in Expo Center building 2 gives moms a comfortable area to relax with their little one.
- Enjoy 3 times More Kitchen Programming at the Save Mart Supermarkets California Kitchen.
- The State Fair is increasing its conservation efforts and education on the drought by opting to use the Main Lagoon as the home for the Jack in the Box Freestyle Motocross Show and a special exhibit, Californians Don’t Wate – Save Water in Your Home.
- Dream Big: Exploring Your Future is an exhibit that encourages kids to discover what makes California Golden in a comfortable family-friendly environment.
- Sweet, California’s Tasty Journey –Experience the world of candy! This unique and entertaining exhibit with candy themed displays and multi-facet themed hands-on activities will highlight the California connection to many favorite sweets. Candy manufacturing and production from home to factory will be on display as well as many artifacts.
At the California State Fair, there is a multitude of food options to satisfy the palate of even the most adventurous, including:
- Spaghetti Ice Cream – Cardinalli’s Sweet Treats
- Ice cream bars dipped in chocolate and rolled in bacon – Cardinalli’s Sweet Treats
- The World’s Hottest Ice Cream – Cardinalli’s Sweet Treats
- World’s Largest Waffle Cone – Colossal Gelato (they give 50% of all profits to Acres of Love Charity)
- Krispy Kreme Raspberry Chicken Breast Sandwich & Krispy Kreme Hamburgers – Stuffie’s Char-broiler
- Red velvet funnel cakes – Funnel Cakes Express and Toucan Funnel Cakes
- Sea salt & caramel milkshakes – J & M Concessions
- Chicken Waffle Taco – Pepe’s Mariscos
- Deep fried grilled cheese sandwhich – Cheese Works
- Pork chop on a stick – Big Bri’s and Finger Steaks
- Deep fried cookie dough, Nutella, or Pop Tarts – Pepe’s Fruit Cart
- Pizza salad – Cardinalli’s Wood Fire Pizza
- Fresh fruit – Pepe’s Fruit Cart and Egg Roll on a Stick
- Grilled fruit & veggies – Fat Franky’s Grilled Veggies
- Gourmet baked potatoes – Spud Ranch
- Roasted veggie panini or steamed artichoke – Jeanne’s Artichokes
- Grilled corn on the cob – The Corn Shack
- Greek salad – Mediterranean Foods
- Every Tuesday, kids 12 and under get in for free for Wells Fargo Kids Day. Fairgoers of all ages can enjoy carnival rides for just one dollar.
- Adults 62+ get $8 admission before 8p.m. on Fridays.
- Military Appreciation Day, Thursday, July 17, current and veterans in all branches of the Armed Forces get in for free. Must show I.D.
- First responders get in free on First Responders Day, Thursday, July 24. Must show I.D.
Best day to go, what to see, eat, do etc…
This year the State Fair has a variety of special events to choose from, such as the Whisky Fest and the Corn Dog Eating Contest.
- Whisky Fest – Friday, July 11 @ 4:00 p.m. (Miller Lite Racetrack Grandstands north lawn area)
- Karaoke Contest – Saturday, July 12 @ 7:00 p.m. (Groupon Stage)
- Brewer’s Festival – Saturday, July 19 @ 3:00 p.m. (Miller Lite Racetrack Grandstands north lawn area)
- Corn Dog Eating Contest – Saturday, July 19 @ 5:00 p.m. (Groupon Stage)
- Coco’s Pie Eating Contest – Various dates/times
If you are a sports fan, we have you covered. At the California State Fair, you can experience all types of sports, ranging from horse racing, the longest running sport at Cal Expo to our newest addition, soccer.
- Thoroughbred Horse Racing – July 11 – 13 and July 17 – 20 @ 1:15 p.m., Fridays 3:15 p.m. (Miller Lite Racetrack Grandstand)
- News 10 World Cup Final Viewing Party – News 10 will host their World Cup Final Viewing Party at the California State Fair. Join us as we find out who will take home the trophy, alongside News 10 anchors and Sacramento Republic FC Players! – Saturday, July 13 @ 11:00 a.m (Golden 1 Stage area)
- California Governor’s Cup – Saturday, July 19 @ 5:00 p.m. (Miller Lite Racetrack Grandstand)
- VIP Demolition Derby – Come watch as massive trucks deliberately run into each other at our VIP Demolition Derby– Sunday, July 20 @ 7:00 p.m
- The Sacramento Mile is a thrilling Pro AMA dirt track racing series, perfect for those who love an adrenaline rush.– Saturday, July 26
- Sacramento Republic FC Games – (Bonney Field)
For a complete list of games go to http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/
- The Jack in the Box Freestyle Motocross Show –Top name athletes, DJ music and an emcee calling tricks gives an up-close and personal look at extreme riding for all thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies! – All 17 days of the fair @ various times (Main Lagoon)
For the Kids
Dream Big: Exploring Your Future – The California State Fair inspires California’s best to be even better. Youth is the State’s greatest asset and the State Fair wants to continue to inspire kids to produce, create and innovate the best in California. Kids can discover what makes California golden in a comfortable family-friendly environment.
Story time adventures –Children can relax in a fun, friendly environment as our story reader entertains them with wonderful stories.
Play time –Kids can have fun in our outer space-themed play time exploration area.
Dream Big vignettes –Kids can dream big with interactive displays and photo opportunities in our “What do I want to be when I grow up area.”
The Dream Theatre- Children’s creativity will come out with this opportunity to be an actor in a fast-paced improv driven by kids.
Mommy Lounge – This is a special area, furnished by Ikea, which provides moms a place to relax with their little one.
Snack Shack- Refuel with delicious and healthy snacks from the Snack Shack sponsored by the Friends of the Fair.
Sweet, California’s Tasty Journey–Experience the world of candy! This unique and entertaining exhibit with candy themed displays and multi-facet themed hands-on activities will highlight the California connection to many favorite sweets. Candy manufacturing and production from home to factory will be on display as well as many artifacts.
Beach Buddy Adventure – (Floriculture/Nature Center) – Guests can add a splash of fun to their summer by visiting “Beach Buddy Adventure” sponsored by the California Coastal Commission’s Whale Tail License Plate Fund. They’ll learn about many wonderful coastal species and ways our inland behaviors affect their environments.
Petting Zoo & Activities – The Petting Zoo is ideal for youngsters 2-9 years of age (and older). You can pet and feed animals ranging from baby goats to lamas. You can find it next to the Baby Barn.
Baby Barn- You may have the opportunity to witness the birth of an animal. The Baby Barn is monitored around the clock by practicing veterinarians and veterinary science students from U.C. Davis. Children can milk cows and goats then make butter with the milk. This educational venue also explains the care and maintenance of dairy animals. The Baby Barn is located right outside the Tractor Supply Co. Big Barn.
Horse Arena- Located next to the Tractor Supply Co. Big Barn and The Farm presented by Save Mart Supermarkets.
The kids pedal tractor pull − Let the kids race off to the tractor pull for a fun time at the farm.
Kids Park – Kids can enjoy the variety of carnival rides available for them in the kids park.