5th Annual Sacramento's Most Eligible Bachelor and Bachelorette Contest
By Laura Braden and Patrick Harbison
Oh hey y’all – we’re finally getting our act together to organize the 5th Annual Sacramento’s Most Eligible Bachelor and Bachelorette contest! …Or as it’s affectionately known: SMEBB (#WorstAcronymEver).
Last year we had over 60 nominations, 15 guys /15 ladies as finalists and six winners (2nd runner-up, 1st runner-up and overall champions). Over 350 young professionals celebrated our honored nominees at a party at Marilyn’s on K. If you missed it, check out the video:
This year, we want to go even bigger and better. We’re going to announce location, partners and prizes soon but in the meantime we wanted to provide a contest schedule and our community/long-time partner: WEAVE.
…I guess we should probably explain what SMEBB is to those living under a rock/new to town. SMEBB is a light-hearted contest to better connect young professionals and hopefully spark a love interest (or two).
We’re looking for nominees aged 25-45 that have legitimate careers, know how to laugh at themselves and enjoy meeting new people. We count one marriage and nearly a dozen healthy/productive relationships (seriously, Patrick introduced Laura to her current boo at the 2012 party) under our SMEBB belt. Check out our past contests:
- 2013 Party Pictures (Marilyn’s on K)
- 2013 Nominees
- 2012 Party Pictures (District 30)
- 2012 Nominees
- 2011 Exit Interview: Eric Dietz
- 2011 Party Pictures (Lounge on 20)
- 2011 Nominees
- 2010 Exit Interview: Patrick Harbison (also known as the co-author of this post)
- 2010 Party Pictures (Lounge on 20)
- 2010 Nominees
SMEBB 2014 Schedule!
- Monday, March 3 – Floodgate for Nominees Opens! (Email girlsonthegrid AT gmail.com with your nominee’s name, occupation, age, reason for nomination and their cell/email. All nominations are anonymous, but we do contact them to ensure they’re down to party with us and are available for the mixer and finale party.)
- Thursday, March 20 – SMEBB Nominees Announced – Online Voting Starts.
- Thursday, March 27 – SMEBB Mixer at TBD (Can’t decide who to vote for? Come out and meet the nominees!)
- Weds, April 2 – Online Voting Ends. (Don’t even think about developing some fancy algorithm to rig the contest – you will get disqualified.)
- Thursday, April 3 – SMEBB Finale Party at TBD. (Winners announced, relationships are forged and things. get. weird.)
Party With A Purpose: WEAVE
We “party with a purpose” and are partnering again (for the 5th year in a row!) with WEAVE (Facebook, Twitter), which is the primary provider of crisis intervention services for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in Sacramento County. Through its involvement in the Rescue & Restore Coalition, WEAVE also provides outreach and services for international and domestic victims of human trafficking.
100% of the proceeds from SMEBB 2014 will go directly to WEAVE. We’re super lucky to have had all past SMEBBs free (from the venue to the red carpet to the photographer to the DJ), and this year we’re going to keep it that way AND raise additional cash for WEAVE’s annual “Walk A Mile In Her Shoes” event, which features over 600 local men wearing high heels to raise awareness and funds against domestic violence and sexual assault.
Patrick is organizing a team made up of past SMEBB nominees so stay tuned! Hit us up (girlsonthegrid AT gmail.com) for sponsorship details.