2014 "Reception Season" Starts January 6
By Laura Braden
By now, you’re knee deep in the holiday season, and your dance card is filled with Toy/Diaper Drives, open houses, receptions, ugly sweater pub crawls and “White Elephant” parties with your girlfriends.
But you better rest over the holidays because the month of January is “reception season” … AKA that glorious time of year when Sacramento lives up to its old-school moniker of being a government town.
For all you newbies out there, reception season officially coincides with the start of the 2014 Legislative session: Monday, January 6.
Advocacy groups, lobbying/public affairs firms and nonprofits all host a variety of events to welcome new members, strengthen relationships and start building support for their 2014 agendas. It’s a networking bonanza for politicos and policy wonks alike.
And the mother of all parties is the California Tribal Business Alliance‘s (CTBA) “Back to Session Bash.”
- Date/Time: Thursday, January 16 at 5:00pm
- Location: Park Ultra Lounge (1116 15th Street)
- Tickets: That’s the tricky party…technically invite only so start hitting up all of your “Big White Building” friends and anyone working with tribes/tribal relations. (Elected officials get in free as a reportable gift.) But FEAR NOT – we’re giving away 2 pairs of tickets on our Facebook page.
Now in its 9th year, this is the not to miss event of the season. Why?
- Hosted bar and food including Korean street tacos, Bashtini bar, Scotch tasting and top shelf Tequila tasting.
- All four Legislative leaders have attended the Bash since the first year, and last year’s Bash welcomed 80 members of the Legislature with 1,200 other attendees.
- Amazing entertainment, including Hip Service, one of Sacramento’s best “party bands.” They’re keeping this year’s main act a secret, but I snuck a peek at the short list and I don’t think anyone will be disappointed. 🙂
Another great event I can vouch for is Capitol Network’s happy hour at Downtown and Vine (1200 K Street) at 4pm on January 16 (pre-party for the Bash?!?!). This is a fantastic group of political women dedicated to giving back to the community. And be sure to follow the Capitol Morning Report for a rundown of all events/receptions.
So rest up, hydrate and stretch, and we’ll see you out on the Grid!