5 Things No One Tells You About Business School
By Julia Tanghetti
Three months into my business school journey, I’ve definitely picked up some pearls of wisdom. Going into B-School, I heard certain words of caution and advice over and over again. Everyone told me I would be busier than I have ever been in my whole life. I didn’t want to believe it at the time, but that has definitely proven to be true. However, there are some key words of wisdom I wish someone told me before I decided to go back to school at age 31!
1. GRADES DON’T MATTER. So this one was hard for me to believe. Grades matter to get you into business school but once you’re there you can stop stressing about your GPA. Half of the class gets A’s and the other half gets B’s (as long as you pay your tuition and don’t lie, steal, cheat or kill someone) With the exception of consulting firms, no companies really care whether you have a 3.0 or a 4.0.
2. When you go back to school at 31, YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT STAMINA THAN IN COLLEGE. I used to burn themidnight (or 3am) oil during my entire college career. 9 years later and I find it difficult to stay up on a weeknight past 10. What’s more…my attention span has become miniscule. Maybe this is due to the bevy of distractions that have become more prominent since I graduated college in 2004. (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram…I’m talking to you!) Or perhaps it’s just that I’ve become old and lazy…I can’t tell!
3. YOU SHOULD SPEND MORE TIME NETWORKING THEN ON CLASS WORK. This relates back to my grades point. The purpose of business school, in my opinion, is to find a better job that pays you more. You will not find that job or internship sitting in the library!
4. YOU MAY DRINK MORE THAN IN UNDERGRAD. When you hear networking, what’s the first word that comes to mind? If you said “drinking” you would have correctly surmised the increase in alcohol consumption that accompanies b-school. At least your drinking in business school comes with a somewhat noble purpose.
5. BUSINESS SCHOOL WILL NOT HELP YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR PASSION IN LIFE IS. This is something that has been particularly hard for me to digest. If you don’t have at least some semblance of what you want to do after school, don’t waste your time with b-school. Unfortunately, this is not the time to “find yourself.” Given that you have such a short time in school, if you don’t come in with a laser focus, you will be overwhelmed!!