Top 5 Things You Should Never Bring to Work
By Rachel Smith
If you’re lucky enough to work in a happy and fun environment then you obviously drink on the job. Or maybe you just happen to be an employee of Sacramento’s Best Place to Work, like me.
Regardless, you certainly don’t want to be “that guy” who ruins the fun for everyone. Below are the absolute do-not’s of office etiquette written by someone who thinks “working’ 9 to 5” is just a song.
1. Your Egg Salad: There are a number of reasons people bring their lunch to work: for dietary purposes, to save money, and because they are too bogged down with work to have the opportunity to actually go grab something from a restaurant. We can all understand that.
Unfortunately, we cannot understand why you’re brining smelly food into a small working environment where people will be forced to concentrate on the odor coming from your cubical and not client service. If you must bring smelly food, at least put it in an air tight sealed container and find yourself a quiet bench at Capitol Park to eat it. Seriously, we will take your conference call for you if need be.
2. Your Outfit from Last Night: I think we’ve all been guilty of this one, but that doesn’t make it appropriate or sanitary. We get it, you worked so late last night at your desk you didn’t even get a chance to go home, right? Uh huh. Whatever the case, at least attempt to look put together when you come in so you don’t scare clients away. Can you say “outfit swap” with a colleague?
3. Your Whooping Cough: It’s not that we don’t love you just the way you are, but when you’re sick we’d love you even more if you stayed home. No team is a winning team if everyone is ill so take care of yourself and make sure you get better (and aren’t contagious) before you come back in the office. And hey, it’s a great excuse to eat a box of popsicles without judgment.
4. Your Pug: (This clearly does not apply to people who work at the SPCA, or the like) As much as we all love our canines, unfortunately this isn’t Carmel, CA where they can roam freely wherever they want. Yes they’re cute and fun, but sometimes they can leave a big mess. Or eat your Egg salad from your desk when you’re not looking. (One can only hope)
5. Your Adele CD: Don’t get us wrong, we love Adele. She is constantly at the top of the charts and we have to admit that her songs are quite catchy. But no one can deny that her tunes are extremely depressing and dark. She’s definitely worth listening to over a glass of wine at home, but it’s hard to write a press release about an exciting new product when your keyboard is covered in fresh tears. Our advice? Switch out Adele for Jock Jams.
And for more do’s and don’ts, check out this educational film – circa 1950. Whoa.