Finding Bliss in Sacramento’s Farmers Markets
By Jamee Sims
On a typical Sunday morning I tend to scramble out of bed, throw on a pair of big sunglasses, pick up a coffee at Old Soul and head to the X Street farmers market only to be standing next to some of Sacramento most famous chefs…Randall Selland anyone? And yes, I will admit that I peek into their bags as I am sure they are filled with that mornings best and of course, I now need them! It’s no coincidence that you will find Sacramento’s premier chefs trekking through the farmers markets every week; as many of them create mouth-watering dishes based on what’s in-season.
Keep your eye out for early spring produce: carrots, turnips, onions, lettuces, radishes, green garlic, bok choy and chard. My personal favorite are the oh-so-many cheese options. Feel free to ask for samples, as they want you to love their product as much as they do. More Dill Havarti please!
BONUS: Did you know that vendors are only authorized to sell the fruits and vegetables that they grow themselves? This isn’t a wholesale chop shop under interstate 80 folks…this is the real deal! In all seriousness, having access to such healthy food options is something that you should really check out and try to introduce into your home. It’s cheap, healthy (i.e. not filled with pesticides) and supports the local businesses.
Another great aspect about the farmers market is the flower and plant selection. You can pick up large succulent plants for $2 and lemon trees for $3! This is great for my budget (especially since I wasn’t born with a green thumb).
Farmers Markets throughout Sacramento
(Markets on the grid are bolded.)
- 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM – Roosevelt Park – 9th and P Streets
- 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM – Fremont Park – 16th and P Streets
- 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM – Chavez Plaza – 10th and J Streets
- 8:00 AM – Noon – Florin Sears Store – Florin Road & 65th Street.
- 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM – East End State Capitol Park – 15th and L Streets
- 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM – Capitol Mall – 6th and Capitol Mall
- 8:00 AM – Noon – State Parking Lot – 8th and W Streets
- 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM – Davis, CA – 8th and C Streets
- 8:00 AM – Noon – Laguna Gateway Center – Laguna and Big Horn Blvds.
- 8:00 AM – Noon – Sunrise Station – Folsom and Sunrise Blvd.
- 8:00 AM – Noon – Country Club Plaza – Watt and El Camino
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM – Oak Park – McClatchy Park at 35th St. and 5th Ave.
- 9:00 AM – Noon – Inderkum High School – 2500 New Market Drive
Tips from a Farmers Market Professional:
- Always bring cash. Preferably small bills for quick exchanges.
- Always bring your own recyclable bags. Who likes plastic bags anyways?
- Be patient and kind. There are always a lot of people and kids to boot.
- For the best selection, hit the farmers market early.
- If you want to eat what is in season, you need to KNOW what is in season.