Mobile Food is Not a Crime: SactoMoFo is Back!
By Kellie Edson
Do you follow the food trucks on Twitter – just hoping that they might come near your office one day at lunch? (Thank you Drewskis, by the way, for parking it near Power Inn once and a while!) Then you HAVE to go to SactoMoFo 4. Never experienced a food truck? Then you HAVE to go to SactoMoFo 4.
In it’s fourth year, Sacramento Mobile Food (SactoMoFo) advocates on the local and state level for a level playing field for mobile kitchens. This year’s event will take place on April 21st from 11am – 6pm under the freeway at 6th and X Street. SactoMoFo 4 is also a food drive for Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services so please bring canned & other packaged food items to donate (those who donate will get to park for free)!
Nearly 30 food trucks and vendors are expected to participate – including 17 local establishments:
- Simply Southern
- Drewski’s Hot Rod Kitchen à My fav local guys!
- Leila’s Lumpia
- Chando’s Tacos
- Coast to Coast Sandwiches
- Willie’s Burgers
- Heavenly Dog
- Fuzion Eatz
- Emma’s Tamales
- Little Rich’s
- The Pasta Queen
- Local Kine Shave Ice
- Addy’s Paella
- Whole Foods
And many visiting food trucks/vendors from around Northern CA and the Bay Area:
- Curbside Cuisine
- Street Eatz
- Nom Nom Truck
- Treatbot Ice Cream
- Seoul on Wheels
- An the Go
- Hapa SF à My fav from SactoMofo 3!
- Curry Up Now
- Chairman Bao
- Bacon Bacon
Along with enough food choices to satisfy meat eaters and vegetarians/vegans alike – there will also be live music, arts and crafts, face paintings, and a beer garden provided by Swabbies! Southside Park is across the street and has one of the best playgrounds in the area – so there is something for your whole family!
If you haven’t been to a mobile food truck event like this before, I strongly suggest you utilize the following seven tips:
- Go EARLY. Especially since the weather is expected to be nice. Last time, the Bacon truck was out of half their stuff by noon (I’m vegetarian, but my husband was quite sad). You don’t want to be at the end of the line, and you don’t want to finally get to the front, only to find out they have run out of what you wanted.
- Go with friends: divide and conquer. If you can, go with a few friends or another couple. Split up and get in different lines then come back together so you can share all of the food!
- Bring chairs & containers. Last time, they had some tables and chairs set up, but if you bring your own lawn chairs, you are sure to find a place to enjoy your food! And if you bring containers you can take some food home for later.
- Bring cash in small bills. Some trucks do take cards, some don’t. But either way, it’s always faster and more convenient if you’ve got cash!
- Bring your smartphone & do your research. Social media and food trucks are best friends, and there are likely to be deals for using your social media outlets. By research, I mean look at the trucks’ menus ahead of time. Have an idea of which ones you want to hit, so that you don’t waste time wandering around aimlessly trying to decide – as lines get longer!
- Make new friends! Food truck lovers are foodies at heart and also tend to be very social. Be sure to take advantage of this.
- Have Fun!!!
Hope to see everyone there – I’ll be the one gorging on Filipino veggie bowls from Hapa SF, Drewskis tater tots and trying new other yummy things!