Found: Halloween, Sacramento-Style
While some of the best times can be had at private parties at friends’ houses, here are GOTG’s picks for Halloween 2010 funtivities – and the best places to find that perfect costume!
Best Local Events
- Now through 31 – Woodland Corn Maze (varies) – Voted one of the best corn mazes in the U.S., this maze features “haunted” nights on Fridays and Saturdays. Taking about an hour to complete, they also feature group discounts – and they’re pet-friendly!
- 22-24 – Fairytale Town’s Super Safe Halloween (5pm) – Perfect for the kiddos: trick or treating (17 different candy stations), puppet theater, activities and the whole place will be transformed to recreate “classic storybook spooks.” Click on the link to buy tickets.
- 22, 23, 29, 30 – Ghost Tours with the Historic Old Sacramento Foundation (6:30pm) – Hour-long tours with costumed guides take you through the history and ghost stories of old Sacramento. Not recommended for children under the age of 5. Click on the link to buy tickets.
- 29 – Free scary pancakes at IHOP (7pm) – You gotta love a timely promotion! Trick or treaters under 12 get to make their own (free) scary face pancakes.
- 30 – Pooch Parade and Costume Contest (2pm) – The Kennedy Gallery (1114 20th St) is hosting a pet-centric event complete with contest for the cutest pet costume. Entry is only a $10 donation to the United Animal Nations.
- 30-31 – Boo at the Zoo (4:30pm) – Another great trick or treating option for kids, the Zoo will have candy stations, magic shows, a costume dance party and arts/crafts. Good for kids under the age of 10. Click the link to buy tickets.
- 31 – Trash Film Orgy at the Crest (8pm) – Love horror movies? Then this film festival is for you. Playing at the Crest Theatre, the organizers promise to bring viewers the “trashiest, goriest and most bizarre movies ever made.” Bonus: Circus freaks, contortionists and random zombie attacks throughout the films. Click on the link to buy tickets.
- 31 – Kids Halloween Costume Brunch at de Vere’s (9am-2pm) – From the invite: “Kids are always looking for a reason to wear their outfits all day and parents are always looking for a reason to grab Brunch and a few Mimosas!” Have truer words ever been spoken?
- 31 – Old Sacramento Halloween Block Crawl (9pm) – No cover and drinks specials at the following: River City Saloon, Fanny Ann’s, O’Mally’s, Vega’s, Sports Corner, and The Other Office. Costumes required.
Best Local Costume Shops
Midtown has a number of great costume shops to find the perfect Halloween costume. And depending on what you want to be for Halloween, we’ve also included the best vintage/consignment shops. Click on the map below to see our faves!
- Bows & Arrows (1712 L St) (COSTUME SALE ON 10/30)
- Cheap Thrills Costumes & Party Clothes (1217 21st St)
- Crimson & Clover (1617 16th St)
- Cuffs (2523 J St)
- Evangeline’s Costume Mansion (113 K St)
- French Cuff Consignment (2527 J St)
- Fringe (2409 21st St)
- Prevues – A Fashion Fetish (2417 K St)
- Thunderhorse Vintage (2522 J St)
- Vintage YSJ (924 12th St)
NOTE: Have a Halloween event or happy hour special? Let us know by emailing girlsonthegrid AT gmail DOT com.