Fall Fashion 101: All Hail the Return of the Lady
By Devon Carey Berrier
I love the fall season — it’s truly my favorite. In my youth, fall was exciting because school started (yes, I was the dorky kid who loved back-to-school, mainly for the shopping, but also for the classes…) my birthday fell right smack dab in the middle of the season—perfect for costume parties to celebrate, and Apple Hill was open—yummy apple donuts and caramel apples. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to appreciate the season change more—the crisp undertones in the air despite the end-of-summer sun and the changes of colors in the leaves and other foliage, and the way the lighting changes as the days grow shorter and the evenings longer. Most of all, I love the excitement of fall fashion.
And, fall 2010 is a season to celebrate! Figure-flattering-ladylike styles fill designer collections, and there are many options for every woman. There is a maturity to this season’s fashions that has been missing for some time. No more torn-up leggings and acid wash jeans; hap-hazard shirts and messy sweatshirts. Although I love to lounge, and own enough Juicy tracksuits to outfit an entire class of tweens, I miss the days when women dressed up—even in their casual wear. I like to feel that when I dress myself I am dressing for a purpose—even if it is just to feel proud of what I have on to walk to the mailbox. And now, the styles match my desires.
The fuller skirts, nipped in waistbands, and delicate fabrics of this season capture femininity, while military accents, fur, leather, and lace add just enough edge and glamour to keep the styles fresh and modern. I am giddy envisioning all the options this season’s styles have to offer—here are some of my faves:
My Fall Must-Haves:
- Peep-toe booties – Vince Camuto Bootie ($128.95) – Adorable (and comfortable!) and perfect with skirts, dresses, and pants.
- Fatigue Green Skinny Cargo Pants – J Brand Houlihan Pant ($231) – One of the most flattering pants I’ve ever owned—great with flats for lounging around, or they go well with heels for a dressier look. I think they are cute worn with a boyfriend blazer and white button down.
- Knee-length full skirt – Kate Spade Full Skirt ($207) – Perfect skirt for cooler Fall work days. Pair with this season’s cashmere sweaters and some pumps, and you have the perfect ladylike outfit for work.
- Soft-crew neck sweater – Aqua Cable Knit Cashmere ($138) – Great price for a cashmere sweater. The variety of colors means you can’t pick just one.
- Feminine dresses – Milly Bow Dress ($375) – I love the simplicity of this dress. The shape is perfect for all body-types and the style is so incredibly versatile, you can wear it all year round.
- Feminine dresses – Foley and Corinna Frilly Mini Dress ($390) – The draping on the top of this dress and the detailed skirt take this nude dress to the next level. Would be great worn with black tights and heels for any Fall party.
- Fun Flats – Kate Spade Tweed Flats ($165) – Perfect with skinny jeans and an oversized cashmere sweater
- Leather mini – Alice and Olivia Leather Mini ($396) – Ah, how I am obsessed with this skirt! It can be worn with riding boots, ribbed tights and a sweater for a dressed down look, or pair it with opaque black tights, a lacy top and high heeled booties for a sexier look.
Items to Finish Off Your Fall Look:
- J. Crew Fur Stole – Mongolian Fur Stole ($98) – Wear with a t-shirt and jeans or with your favorite cocktail dress—this is a must-have accessory for Fall.
- Frilly Necklace—Forever 21 Large Beaded Necklace ($8.80) – Pearls, rhinestones, and ribbons—the perfect combination.
- Ribbed Tights – Frenchi Tights ($12) – At only $12.00 a pair, you can get all three colors!
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Handbag – Classic Leather Shopper ($528) – Perfect leather carry-all for fall. The beautiful currant color will add a pop to any outfit and is versatile enough to be worn with browns, grays, blues, and blacks.