Discussion: What’s the Best Advice a Friend Ever Gave You?

By the Editors

In honor of Women’s Friendship Day (Sunday, 8/15), we pose the following question: What’s the best piece of advice a girlfriend ever gave you?

Join the discussion by leaving a comment below or by emailing us at girlsonthegrid AT gmail DOT com.

And this Sunday, be sure to take an hour, sit down, pour a glass of wine and call your besties!

Friendship Quotes

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art…. It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. ~C.S. Lewis

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive.  ~Anäis Nin

Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends.  ~Virginia Woolf

Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being. ~ Goethe

1. laura braden says

That I really am strong enough to survive anything…with them at my side of course. 🙂

2. april travis says

You cannot really love anyone else unless you love yourself.

3. Amy says

BREAK UP WITH HIM!

4. Lisa says

Not to sweat the small stuff! One of my friends gave me the book before I got married and I took the hint. Seven years later it still works.

5. Robin Swanson says

Ha – well Amy’s cracks me up, because I think that’s a universal friend conversation that we’ve all had at one point… (-; Though I don’t know if it’s actual “advice” per-say, I think my closest girlfriends and I like to embrace the wisdom that “women who behave rarely make history…”

6. Ashley Robinson says

“Stop talking!” Not so much a girlfriend, but my female crew coach when I tried talking back. It made an impact.

7. Molly DeFrank says

I don’t know if this falls under the category of “advice,” but I always appreciate when my girlfriends tell me how an outfit actually looks on me while we are in the fitting rooms, even when it accentuates one of my less-than-perfect features. Sure sign of a true girlfriend.

8. Erika Idler says

This too shall pass!! & time heals all wounds

9. Cynthia Bryant says

Never settle . . .

10. Kim says

The right guy at the wrong time is not the right guy.

11. Olinda Paul says

My friend said to me…..and I quote…”When you have had your belly full, you’ll know what to do”. Nothing finer was ever said….she was right.

12. Mary Beth Barber says

“You have a right to feel this way, and you should take time to feel this way this evening when you’re home, but right now you need to get into work on time and keep the constant things in your life together.” Said to me when I was having a really bad heartbreak morning and the more I tried to squash my feelings, the more my emotions were out of control. Reminding me that I had a right to feel bad and giving permission to feel bad later worked — right when I needed it.