Found: Beach Cruisin’ on the Grid
So I may or may not have jinxed the weather two weeks ago with my profile on Sacramento’s best patio bars/restaurants, but weather.com is promising sunshine and high 60’s-low 70’s for the rest of this week so here we go again…
We may not have made Bicycling Magazine’s list of the best biking towns…or the best small biking towns, but Sacramento IS an AMAZING biking town. It’s small, it’s flat, and at night/on the weekends, there’s barely any traffic in Midtown so you can rule the road (ear muffs coppers).
And I’m personally not into the fancy Cannondales or single-speeds. To me, nothing says California like a beach cruiser – complete with bell and basket. I go everywhere in mine – the grocery store (small trips), dinner, work, friends’ houses, you get the idea. It’s good exercise, it saves me a ton of money on cabs or having a car, and in the summertime, it’s the best way to create a breeze in the delta heat. If you’re convinced – and you should be 🙂 – here are my picks for the cutest models and best places to find your very own beach cruiser…
Where To Buy
- Mike’s Bikes (1411 I Street) This is where I found mine (Gypsy model above). Mike’s has a huge selection, and a ton of accessories. They have a repair shop in the back and are extremely friendly (my bike was making a weird noise 3 weeks after I bought it, and they fixed it in minutes without charging me). They’re also dog-friendly, which is always a huge plus in my book.
- City Bicycle Works (2419 K Street)
- East Sac Bikes (5520 H Street)
- Craigslist (everywhere) If you have a bit more time on your hands, you can find some amazing bargains online. See here and here for examples. As always, be wary of scammers.
- Guy on 24th and J (24th and J Street) On the weekends, there’s a nice guy who sells a great variety of bikes on the sidewalk. Like Craigslist, you can get great deals – my boyfriend got a vintage, 1940’s cruiser for less than $150. He also really knows his stuff and can help with repairs and advice. Be sure to say to his pup – she loves her belly scratched.
- Target (Broadway and Riverside) Liberty of London (bold and girly patterns) has the cutest bikes for little girls! They have a woman’s model too, but it’s temporarily out-of-stock.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Can’t live without your beach cruiser? Have a favorite model that we missed? Or tips on buying your first cruiser? Leave your comments below or email us at girlsonthegrid AT gmail DOT com!